Sunday, August 26, 2012

Aug 26 - Psalm 5:9

For there is
nothing reliable in what they say;
destruction is within them;
their throat is an open grave
Psalm 5:9
HCSB

“Their throat is an open grave.” Isn’t that a powerful image?

An open grave provokes several thoughts …
  •  The first is death. That’s the inevitable destination to our journey on earth.
  •  The second is grief. I won’t ever stand beside my own grave, but I stand – all too often -- beside the graves of people I love. An open grave is a symbol of raw and open grief.
  •  The third is hazard. An open grave is a trap. If I’m walking through life blindly, I’m likely to fall into my own destruction.

Today’s verse says that some speech is like a trap. Some people’s words may sound wise or flattering, but they ultimately lead to grief, destruction, and death.

Have you ever fallen for that?

We want what we want, and so we often hear what we want to hear. We’re insecure, and so we’re vulnerable to anyone who strokes us. We want a free lunch, and ignore the real costs.

If you don’t want to fall into an open grave, it pays to evaluate people’s fluctuating opinions against God’s unchanging Word. If we want to discover life, we need follow God’s purposes rather people’s agendas.

In Christ’s Love,
a guy who’s staying away
from grave diggers





No comments:

Post a Comment