Saturday, December 4, 2010

Advent 7 - 2 Samuel 7:13 - December 4

He shall build a house for my name,
and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever.
2 Samuel 7:13
 
God is faithful.
 
He made -- and kept -- this ancient promise to King David: "12 When your days are fulfilled ..., I will raise up your offspring after you ... 13 and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. 14 I will be a father to him, and he shall be a son to me. 16 Your house and your kingdom shall be made sure forever ..."
 
In recent years, I've heard more and more about "Generational Curses." This is not an occultic hex; it's the simple acknowledgment that apples don't fall far from the tree. For example, children of divorce tend to become adults who get divorced. Children who are abused tend to become adults who abuse. Children of poverty tend to stay in poverty as adults. And children of alcoholics are more prone to addiction too. We can inherit good habits as well -- a discipline of faith, for example -- but do you see the danger of these generational curses?
 
Here's the good news. The key words in that last paragraph are "tend to." It's not destiny. More and more I've been hearing young adults say, "I'm going to be the one who breaks this generational curse."
 
Here's your Advent Adventure: 1) Call your mom and dad and thank them for any and all good things they passed on to you. 2) Identify the generational curse that you've inherited, and claim the Philippians 4:13 promise in defeating it -- "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
 
In Christ's Love,
a guy who -- along with any of the faithful --
claims the promise to David for himself:
"He shall build a house for my name"
 
(No, I'm not expecting any Messiah's in my lineage,
but I'm applying his principles daily and
trusting him for the faith for the next generations) 

No comments:

Post a Comment