Friday, January 1, 2010

Day 1 + read Genesis 1,2,3


What does God say?

I don’t know about you, but I like to do things my way.

I like to be in charge.

The three musketeers used to cheer, "All for one and one for all." Me, myself, and I were once the three musketeers, and "All for me and all for me" used to be the cheer.

Pondering creation, though, was the first step in silencing a little bit of self. When I finally contemplated the complexity and enormity of creation ... when I finally realized my tiny, temporary, fragile stature ... when I finally said "wow" to God and "whoa" to my pride ... I finally began to hear the magical sounds of God’s creation. I finally began to know God.

In Genesis 1 -- over and over -- what two things does God say?

1. To create, God simply says, "Let there _ _ . . . "

2. And when God surveys his creation, God says, "And it was _ _ ."

Did God need to rub two sticks together to create? No. He simply needed to speak a word, "and it was so" ... and "it was good!"

Then after making humans the crown and culmination of his creation, what does God say? "31It was _________ good."

What does God say to US?

If God calls humans "very good," then you are "very good." Wait ... write that in big, BIG letters: God’s view of me is: V____ G_______!

Some people suffer from low self-esteem. What keeps you from seeing yourself as very good?


On the other hand, others of us suffer from the opposite problem -- too much pride. How might the enormity of creation help keep your pride in check?


Why do we often believe in our assessment of ourselves rather than God’s assessment of us?


The invitation is to not believe in ourselves but to believe in God!


What does God say?

In Genesis 2, God mentions the first thing that is not good, "18it is not good for the man to be alone."

What does God say to US?

If it is not good for people to be alone, who do you know who is lonely and in need of your friendship? (List them ... then befriend them!)


What does God say?

In Genesis 3, we have a picture of "the way it’s supposed to be."

God wanders through the beauty of his garden and expects to encounter friendship and intimacy with Adam and Eve. He obviously doesn’t. They have broken a rule. And what happens when they break a rule? They break something even more valuable. They shatter their relationship with God.

That’s what sin does. It puts a wall between us and God. That’s what that fig leaf was -- a literal barrier, a shame-filled divide.

Therefore, when God cries, "9Where are you?," do you hear his heart? He longs for intimacy, but with that relationship shattered, his heart is broken.

What does God say to US?

"Where are you?" That’s been God’s cry to you for years and years! He loves you. He wants nothing more than deep friendship with you and with me.

As you begin this 60-day journey, begin by answering two questions:

1. "Where have you been?"... lately? ... in your relationship with God?


2. "Where would you like to be?" ... at the end of these 60 days?



No comments:

Post a Comment