Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Psalm 92

Hard times ... then glimpses of grace ... and victory ... and hope.

That's how I envision today's Psalm.

"11 Enemies" and "9 evildoers" reflect the hard times, but "12 with my own eyes I have seen the downfall of my enemies."

What's the fruit of victory and hope? "1 Sing ... 1 thanks[giving] ... 2 unfailing love ... 4 thrills [and chills] ... and 4 joy!"

Perspective is another fruit. After the victory, the Psalmist cheers, "15 The Lord is just! He is my rock! There is nothing but goodness in him!" But what's the perspective before the victory?

How many of us suffer hard times, hard times, hard times, and see very little grace. It doesn't take too much imagination to know that some people's lives are filled with one enemy after another. Sometimes the enemies are people (think oppressive governments), sometimes the enemies are vile sins (torture and rape), sometimes the enemies are systemic (hunger in a world of plenty), sometimes the enemies are demonic (it wouldn't serve us well to miss the root cause of so much suffering).

What hope do such people have?

Some days their only hope is a bigger truth. If "15 there is nothing but goodness in [God]," then hope is a longer term perspective -- "7 although the wicked flourish like weeds, and evildoers blossom with success, there is only eternal destruction ahead of them."

Hope is not in the day to day.

Hope is at the finish line.

Hope is in the stories of others who've seen seasons of oppression and moments of hope ... and still somehow "1 sing praises."

None of us is alone in our trials. But we'll feel even more alone if we don't find some angle in which to gain a little more perspective on the God of grace and his "13 goodness."

Lord, I pray today in the midst of my trials.
"13 [T]ransplant [me] into [your] own house.":
Help me "13 flourish in the courts" of your hope
Give me perspective that surpasses circumstances.
Give me patience that transcends the suffering.
Give me a long-term trust that reminds me
of the finish line and of your eternal blessings,
instead of the momentary crises.
Indeed, help me "1 sing ... thank ...
4 thrill [and chill]...
[and discover your] 4 joy"
... daily!

No comments:

Post a Comment